History of the building
Due to the high quality of the tobacco produced in the region, as well as Kavala's location and its natural port, Kavala was an international center for tobacco trade from the middle of the 19th century. The tobacco warehouse on M. Alexandrou Street was originally erected in 1885 to service the needs of the Ottoman trading monopoly. The building was used as a space for processing tobacco products until the 1950's, and then abandoned.
In 1986, the building was purchased by two brothers as an investment, and over the next decade it was totally renovated and refurbished and converted to a shopping mall.
The façade in 1986.
The building itself is a typical example of industrial architecture from the end of the 19th century, with the big square form, and generally with a simple and functional arrangement that would serve certain practical needs.
The building is a three level complex, with a closed arrangement around an internal courtyard, which ensured proper ventilation and lighting throughout the 54 original openings on the main façades and 17 openings per floor in the internal courtyard. Access to M. Alexandrou Street was by two big arches. The bearing masonry, which is about 70 cm. thick, and made mainly of crude stone, was covered by plaster internally, while on the outside only the façade of M. Alexandrou Street was plastered and colored.
The general condition of the building, as well as wooden parts, was good. There were however problems with the stone masonry, and part of the roof had extensive damage and needed to be partially replaced.
The refurbishment of the building was done with the philosophy of restoring it back to its original form, while at the same time create a modern, lively and functional space, preserving and promoting the unique features of the building. In its current use, the building functions as a commercial center. The atrium, roofed by a light transparent shelter, constitutes the nucleus of its function.
Street view from the 1920's
Vertical movement is mainly achieved through the escalators or the elevators and the staircases. Horizontal movement is achieved through corridors that were added to the floors of the internal atrium. Modern materials are distinguished from traditional materials, and coexist in their variety giving the chance to the past to live in present and project into the future.